Coventry Zesty Playford
Since 2013, I’ve been running a series of dances called Coventry Zesty Playford. I started this when it came to my attention that Playford dances were often being danced in a way which made them less fun (the Playford plod). CZP is part of a general movement to remedy this. Here are some ways we do that:
- We dance with energy and enthusiasm.
- We welcome people of all ages and dancing abilities, including total beginners. Tutting is banned.
- We enjoy doing simpler traditional dances such as Sellenger’s Round and the Black Nag, over more complicated modern ECD.
- Live music, because of course.
- Picking the programme is something both band and caller undertake together, meaning that we always have great tunes.
- We’re prepared to try new things with the music, for example, booking Steamchicken gave us jazz Playford…
The Ceilidh Experiment
The Ceilidh Experiment is a new ceilidh series in Coventry. We have gorgeous venue (Ego) a house band (Vic Smith and Nick Dewhurst) and a lighting artist (Amy Worrall) to bring it all to life. The event is generously sponsored by Dancing Folk Warwickshire and West Midlands.
Inclusive Folk Dancing
A work in progress: a website to provide resources on
- Gender free dancing and calling
- Welcoming beginner dancers
- Creating a Safe Dance Environment
- Dancing and disabilities
Roseville Fair play for weddings, parties and functions. With Nicky Grant, Ewan Cameron and Adam Beresford-Browne. My plan to do more of the gigs I love best: ceilidhs and barndances for people of all ages who are there to enjoy themselves!